Tuesday, April 27, 2010

THE POWER OF PRAISE

Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Psalm 144:1,2
Blessed be the LORD, my strength, who teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and He in whom I trust, who subdueth my people under me.
There are two phrases which need some defining for understanding: "hands to war", which in the Rabbinical sources means, hand-to-hand combat; "fingers to fight" is the technique for throwing the spear. What David is saying is that the LORD gives strength to physically fight the enemy in a close battle and to have the skill to prevent the enemy from a distance, through skillful use of weapons. David also sees something deeper than the physical encounter with enemies, he sees that the LORD is his defence so that He will fight the battles, He will shelter, shield and will be a wall of protection around His sons and daughters. The LORD will fight the battle so that David will not be engaged in combat on the physical level. This being so, David is still prepared to do physical battle with excellence, if needed.
The strongest word in this Psalm is "trust". David put his trust in the LORD. Out of that trust came great praise and strong faith. David also declares that his goodness comes from the LORD. Everything about him is the direct result of the grace of GOD. He knows that the LORD is Almighty and can end the march of the enemies with one stroke of the hand. This trust makes David strong and praise of GOD is continually in his mouth. The more David grows in his trust and faith, the higher and moreconsistent is his praise. Let us be like David and trust the LORD to defend us and let the praises of Him, who is our strength, ever be in our heart.
PRAISE YE THE LORD! SING HIGH PRAISES TO THE ROCK OF OUR SALVATION!

No comments:

Post a Comment