Friday, September 16, 2011

ENCOURAGE YOUR SELF IN THE LORD

Saturday, September 17, 2011
Psalm 42: 11
Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in GOD; for I shall yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance, and my GOD.

Yesterday, I talked about the "corporate soul" as being made up of individuals who felt the same way. Today, I want us to look at the individual and his relationship with GOD.

The individual has the responsibility to keep his own soul in union with GOD. This responsibility can not be pushed off on to a group, church, or family. The group, Church or family are not an excuse for good or bad behavior; the individual is responsible for his/her own soul. Redemption is on the line of the individual soul uniting with JESUS.

In Hebrew Scripture, and before JESUS, there was a sense that all things were accomplished by the people and certain individuals spoke to GOD on behalf of the people; an example of this is Moses. There were many times of choice for the individual, but "group think" was the norm. After JESUS, and the coming of the Holy Spirit, came a new relationship with GOD. Each individual had a personal relationship with the LORD, therefore, each individual was responsible for the building of that relationship.

Psalm 42 is a Psalm of David as he wrestles with his responsibility before GOD as an individual. He asks questions and expects an answer from GOD. He identifies what is going on in his own soul and he addresses it. "Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me ?" He asks this of himself, identifying the terrible depression that consumed him. Then He asks GOD for light and truth to lead him to the Altar of GOD, so that he might praise GOD. Then he says to his soul, "Hope thou in GOD; for I will yet praise Him who is the health of my countenance and my GOD."

David took responsibility for the condition of his own soul and asked GOD to bring light into his darkness. He praised GOD for what He would do; his hope and faith burned brightly.

Let us take a lesson from David, examine our self daily; ask GOD for light and truth; hope in GOD; praise Him for who He is.

ENCOURAGE YOUR SELF IN THE LORD

No comments:

Post a Comment